Thursday, June 3, 2010

Braids for the Summer

About two months after I went natural, my hair started to shed REALLY bad.  Now understand that hair shedding and hair breakage are two completely different things.  Hair breakage happens when your ends are damaged and your hair starts to split and then break.  Hair shedding happens when your hair is coming out at the root.  Yup...my hair was definitely shedding.  I used several different natural products as well as some that I created on my own.  Nothing seemed to help. 

I just can't figure out what is causing the shedding.  I thought it may be my thyroid, but I had that checked and it wasn't the problem.  I think it may be due to some of the medication that I am taking.  Anyway, I decided to put my hair in braids for the summer.  I got my first set at the end of March.  I took them out in May and let my hair rest for two weeks.  I have to say that the shedding had definitely decreased, so maybe it's not due to the meds.  I also started using a new product that I absolutely LOVE, so that may have helped as well.  I just put my second set of braids in.  I'll keep them in for a few weeks and see what my progress is.  I want to keep doing this up to my one year anniversary of my big chop which will be in October (October 2nd to be exact).

No comments: